The existing Prakasam Barrage across River Krishna was constructed during 1954 to 1957 in place of old Anicut just 104Ft upstream side near Vijayawada City in Krishna District of Andhra Pradesh, below the confluence of the Musi, it passes through a narrow gorge and enters the plains of Coromandal coast, till at Vijayawada. The earlier anicut with its canals for irrigation and flood banks for the protection of the delta from the floods was constructed during 1852 with a coast of Rs. 2.00 crores which was designed by Sir Artur Cotton and built by Captain Charies Orr to serve an ayacut of 5.80 Lakh acres in four districts of Krishna, West Godavari, Guntur and Prakasam. The old anicut was breached during 1952 during inspection the eminent Superintending Engineer, Sri. Vepa Krishna Murthy and other staff have demised their lives. After examining all aspects in detail the present barrage was constructed during 1954-1957 with a cost of Rs. 2.278 Crores and named as Prakasam Barrage after the Great Leader and former Chief Minister Sri. Prakasm Panthulu.